Hearing God

This weekend, I attended a seminar on hearing God held at my church. Some might think that such a seminar is an exercise in wishful thinking, and yet, I believe nearly everyone who was there was able to share at some point some story of how God had communicated with them. Sometimes it was through circumstance, sometimes it was through someone else, sometimes through a dream or vision, and sometimes through the Bible, but the most common way was through the 'still, small voice'; an authoritative prompting or strong sense that one ought to be doing something, and somehow you just know it came from God. 


"The Lord said, 'Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.' Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave." (1 Kings 19: 11-13)

A lot of the stuff we talked about was stuff I already knew, or could have easily figured out myself if I sat and thought about it at all. But what really made the seminar valuable were the practicums. The times we sat and listened.

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.'" (Psalm 46: 10)


I think my biggest obstacle to hearing God is just that I don't normally take time to listen. I wake up in the morning with a million things to do. I stay up late watching Netflix until I can barely keep my eyes open. But rarely do I spend time just sitting, ready to hear God speak. 

One practical suggestion that I have already found helpful is to write out a dialogue. First, write out your initials and then a question. Then write "G" for God, and wait, ready to write. Don't spend too much time questioning whether the thoughts that fly through your mind are yours or from God; just write them down. Then follow up with another question or a comment. Some of the questions that were suggested include:

  • What do you like about me?
  • What do you see when you look at me?
  • How do you want me to structure my life?
  • Is there anything that keeps me from full surrender to you?
  • What things do you want me to pray for myself?
  • What sin do you want to reveal to me?

Another important point was to spend a lot of time reading and meditating on the Bible. I think this is important because it allows you to learn to recognize God's voice, and to distinguish it from all the other voices we are surrounded by. 

“Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” (John 10: 1-5)

We also talked about why it was important to hear God's voice. One of the reasons was so that we can have a close relationship with God in real time, and so that He could speak into specific things that are going on in our lives. 

I once had a pastor who issued this challenge: If you want to hear from God, ask Him every day for a month, and see what happens! I would suggest also reading a chapter a day from the book of John (you can start here)--although that will only take you three weeks. (If you let me know you're doing this, I will pray for you!)

As for me, I think I'm going to cut back on my Netflix. The pastor gave us homework to do for the next four weeks, and so I've got some work to do!

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13)

P.S. My church is holding their annual picnic this Sunday! All are welcome. Message me if you're interested in having church in a park by the lake with a picnic after!


Comments

  1. (John 10: 1-5) I wrote a long email to Jeff last week, with this Bible passage also quoted, you may ask him about it if you want, or we shall discuss it in person this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think the Shepherd calls his own sheep by name, and Leads Them Out of the sheep pen - to join them as one flock?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Regine! I didn't see your comments until now! I was expecting it to send me some sort of notification...

    I think that's a metaphor of salvation and becoming the church. He calls us individually, with knowledge of who we are, he leads us out of the sheep pen to pasture where we can eat and grow and learn, and we join as one flock, the Church.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Broken Church: Reformation Part 2

Advent Week 2: War and Peace